SOUTHFIELD–SME, formerly the Society of Manufacuting Engineers, announced that seven manufacturing professionals from industry and academia are being recognized with its 2023 International Honor Awards.
These highly accomplished individuals are being honored for their significant accomplishments and contributions to manufacturing technologies, processes, technical writing, education, research and management, and service to SME. Honorees will receive their awards during SME’s June 5 International Awards Gala in Rochester.
For over six decades, SME’s International Honor Awards have identified professionals whose bodies of work have led to critical breakthroughs and advancements in manufacturing technologies, processes and education as well as honored members for their volunteerism.
“These seven professionals are among the most accomplished thought leaders in manufacturing, and I’m proud to acknowledge they also hold membership in SME,” said Bob Willig, executive director and CEO of SME. “Though their backgrounds are varied, all share a penchant for continuous improvement where status quo just doesn’t cut it.”
2023 International Honor Awards
* Eli Whitney Productivity Award — Lonnie Love, PhD, FSME, Fellow, National Security Programs, Sandia National Laboratories, Albuquerque, N.M.
* Joseph A. Siegel Service Award — Sandra Bouckley, FSME, P.Eng., Executive Director & CEO (retired), 2017 President, SME, Southfield
* Donald C. Burnham Manufacturing Management Award — Vaughn M. Hall Jr., International Vice President and General Manager, Corning Precision Materials, Corning Inc., Asan, South Korea
* SME Frederick W. Taylor Research Medal — Shaochen Chen, PhD, Chair and Zable Endowed Chair Professor, NanoEngineering Department, University of California, San Diego, San Diego
* SME Albert M. Sargent Progress Award – Subir Chowdhury, FSME, Chairman and CEO, ASI Consulting Group, Bingham Farms
* SME Education Award — Laine Mears, PhD, FSME, CMfgE, PE, BMW SmartState Endowed Chair of Automotive Manufacturing, University Centennial Professor and Department Chair, Automotive Engineering Department, Clemson University, Clemson, S.C.
* SME Gold Medal — Shreyes N. Melkote, PhD, FSME, Morris M. Bryan, Jr. Professor of Mechanical Engineering, Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta
SME currently is accepting nominations for the 2024 International Honor Awards. The submission deadline is Aug. 1. Award and nomination information is available at sme.org/awards. For further questions about SME’s International Awards, email firstname.lastname@example.org.