SOUTHFIELD — SME, a manufacturing association formerly known as the Society of Manufacutring Engineers, announced new officers and new SME Fellows at its annual Installation and Awards Gala Dec. 2.
Officers of SME are chosen by a nominating committee and selected by the SME Board of Directors. These directors are elected annually by the entire voting membership of the organization.
The 2019 officers installed are:
* President, Mark L. Michalski, MKS Instruments (retired), Wilmington, Mass.
* President-Elect, Susan M. Smyth, FSME, General Motors (retired), Warren
* Vice President, Michael D. Packer, FSME, Lockheed Martin Aeronautics Co., Fort Worth, Texas
* Treasurer, Dianne Chong, FSME, The Boeing Co. (retired), Seattle, Wash.
* Secretary, James W. Schlusemann, Prosperia International, Batavia, Ill.
SME also recognized its 2018 Class of Fellows, who are selected once a year from among the highest achievers of industry, academia and government, and nominated only by honorary, fellow, life or professional members of SME. Those selected as fellows have 20 years or more of manufacturing experience and expertise. They have contributed notably to the social, technological and educational benefit of manufacturing and the engineering profession.
2018 SME College of Fellows are:
* Satish T.S. Bukkapatnam, Rockwell International Professor, Texas A&M University, College Station, Texas
* Frank W. Gayle, Deputy Director, Advanced Manufacturing National Program Office, Office of Advanced Manufacturing, National Institute of Standards and Technology, Gaithersburg, Md.
* S. Jack Hu, J. Reid and Polly Anderson Professor of Manufacturing and vice president for research, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor
* Bernhard Karpuschewski, Professor and Director, Leibniz IWT University of Bremen, Bremen, Germany
* Ming C. Leu, Keith and Pat Bailey Distinguished Professor, Missouri University of Science and Technology, Rolla, Mo.
* Hamid R. Parsaei, PE, Professor, Texas A&M University, College Station, Texas
* John D. Russell, technical director, Manufacturing and Industrial Technologies Division, Air Force Research Laboratory, Wright Patterson Air Force Base, Dayton, Ohio
More at www.sme.org.