PLYMOUTH – Comcast Corp. invites Michigan residents to join thousands of Comcast employees, family members, friends, and community partners by volunteering for one of 29 local service opportunities during the 17th Comcast Cares Day.
Projects begin Saturday, April 14 and culminate on Comcast Cares Day, Saturday, April 21. This year, volunteers are part of a significant milestone of Comcast Cares Day – reaching 1 million volunteers since the program began in 2001.
Comcast officials say the company expects more than 100,000 volunteers to participate in about 1,000 projects across the country and around the world. To date, volunteers have contributed more than 5 million volunteer hours at 8,800 projects.
This year’s Comcast Cares Day volunteer opportunities in Michigan include:
Saturday, April 14
* Detroit Blight Busters – Volunteers will assist with beautification and revitalization of a farm project as well as paint projects and cleaning alleys. Location: 17336 Lahser Road, Detroit. Time: 7:30 a.m.
* Easter Seals – Volunteers will clean up an outdoor play area, sand and paint outdoor furniture, plant flowers, and clean the interior of the facility. Location: 4065 East Hills Court SE, Grand Rapids. Time: 7:30 a.m.
* Keep Growing Detroit –Volunteers will assist with several gardening activities, including transplanting seedlings, dividing plants and cleaning gardening tools. Location: 2202 Third St., Detroit. Time: 7:30 a.m.
* Detroit Rescue Mission Ministries Men’s Oasis Shelter – Volunteers will clean and paint the shelter. Location: 13220 Woodward Ave., Highland Park. Time: 7:30 a.m.
* Kappa Alpha Psi Foundation at Beech Woods Park – The City of Southfield will join volunteers for a cleanup and revitalization project at the park. Location: 22200 Beech Rd., Southfield. Time: 7:30 a.m.
* Gleaners Taylor Location – Volunteers will sort and package food. Location: 25678 Northline Road, Taylor. Time: 7:30 a.m.
Monday, April 16
* Kids Coalition Against Hunger at Salem High School – Volunteers will package food with area youth to help stop hunger around the world. Location: 46181 Joy Road, Canton Township. Time: 3:30 p.m.
* Boys & Girls Club of Greater Holland – Volunteers will do indoor and outdoor clean up at the BGC. Location: 435 Van Raalte Ave., Holland. Time: 3 p.m.
Tuesday, April 17
* Big Brothers Big Sisters of Metropolitan Detroit at McIntyre Elementary – Volunteers will package food at Forgotten Harvest Food Bank. Location: 19600 Saratoga Boulevard, Southfield. Time: 10 a.m.
* The Lighthouse Church at Victory Park – Volunteers will meet at Victory Park to perform community cleanup projects including work at two other parks. Location: 45 W. Columbia, Belleville. Time: 3:30 p.m.
Wednesday, April 18
* Downriver YMCA – Volunteers will clean flowerbeds, plant flowers, paint and organize sporting equipment. Location: 16777 Northline Road, Southgate. Time: 7:30 a.m.
* Food Bank of Eastern Michigan (Project 1) – Volunteers will package food. Location: 2300 Lapeer Road, Flint. Times: 8 a.m. to noon, noon to 4 p.m., 4 to 8 p.m.
Thursday, April 19
* Stiggy’s Dogs – Volunteers will assist with general outdoor cleanup and tearing down an old fence. Location: 5520 E. M-36, Pinckney. Time: 3:30 p.m.
Saturday, April 21
* Affirmations – Volunteers will assist by painting the stairwell railings, cleaning up the library and planting flowers. Location: 290 W. Nine Mile Rd., Ferndale. Time: 7:30 a.m.
* The ARC Macomb – Volunteers will weed-proof a rock area and paint some office spaces. Location: 44050 N. Gratiot Ave., Clinton Township. Time: 7:30 a.m.
* Thumb Industries – Volunteers will shred outdated documents, compact boxes, clean household items and sort recycling items. Location: 666 E. Woodworth St., Bad Axe. Time: 7:30 a.m.
* Haven of Rest Ministries – Volunteers will perform various tasks to clean the center that provides shelter, food, transitional housing and substance abuse treatment. Location: 11 Green St., Battle Creek. Time: 7:30 a.m.
* Detroit Animal Welfare Group (DAWG) – Volunteers will assist DAWG in providing care and services to the animals as well as paint and animal enclosures and houses. Location: 78440 McKay Road, Bruce Township. Time: 7:30 a.m.
* Cities of Service and the City of Detroit – Volunteers will remove brush and debris, paint and clean up the area, and educate merchants about Project Green Light, revealing a cleaner and safer neighborhood for all. Location: 19320 Van Dyke Ave., Detroit. Time: 7:30 a.m.
* Food Bank of Eastern Michigan (Project 2) – Volunteers will package food. Location: 2300 Lapeer Road, Flint. Time: 7:30 a.m.
* West Grand Neighborhood Association – Volunteers will clean up the neighborhood, plant flowers and paint. Location: 415 Leonard St. NW, Grand Rapids. Time: 7:30 a.m.
* Cascades Humane Society – Volunteers will clean kennel caging, spring clean and landscape around the complex and dog walk area. Location: 1515 Carmen Drive, Jackson. Time: 7:30 a.m.
* Potter Park Zoo – Volunteers will help with gardening and grounds work. Location: 1301 S. Pennsylvania Ave., Lansing. Time: 7:30 a.m.
* Boys and Girls Club (Nelson Club site) – Volunteers will complete outdoor cleanup and beautification, including gardening and more. Location: 550 West Grand Ave., Muskegon. Time: 7:30 a.m.
* Kids Coalition Against Hunger – Volunteers will package food to be donated locally and world-wide. Locations: Plymouth Arts & Recreation Complex, 650 Church St., Plymouth; Parkway Christian School, 14500 Metro Parkway, Sterling Heights; Girl Scouts Heart of Michigan, 444 James L. Hart Parkway, Ypsilanti. Time: 7:30 a.m.
The Comcast Foundation will also provide grants to local community partner organizations across the country on behalf of everyone who volunteers on Comcast Cares Day. The grants will help Comcast’s community partners continue their mission of serving the community throughout the year. To date, the Comcast Foundation has awarded more than $22 million in grants to local non-profit organizations who have served as partners on Comcast Cares Day.
Additionally, Comcast will once again fold in the broad support and amplification of Global Citizen and Red Nose Day, organizations aiming to end extreme poverty globally and in the United States.
For more information on Comcast NBCUniversal volunteer and community investment initiatives, visit www.comcast.com/community.