HOWELL — The Michigan STEM Partnership, a statewide non-profit organization, announced a joint initiative with the Mobile Technology Association of Michigan and Inforum to collect and share videos from STEM professionals in order to enable student, parent and educator awareness of STEM careers and the opportunities they provide, and to encourage student participation in STEM careers.
Known as the Michigan STEM Careers Video Showcase, this initiative will feature self-produced smartphone videos from MTAM and Inforum members, as well as others working in STEM-related positions across a wide diversity of industries throughout Michigan.
These STEM professionals will be providing videos, typically three to five minutes in length, that will discuss the work they do, the type of education required, what they love about their job, and the opportunity from their perspective — why students should pursue that career.
These videos will then be hosted on the Michigan STEM Partnership website for review and use by students, parents and educators. The videos will also be available for sharing by partner organizations in various media and public presentations.
Goals of the effort include:
* Increasing student awareness of the wide variety of STEM-related careers, requirements to work in those careers, and the opportunity those careers provide for exciting, challenging and lucrative careers
* Increasing parent awareness of the same in order to enable parents to see the value in supporting their children to go into STEM-related careers – particularly women and minorities, who are currently severely under-represented in many STEM fields
* Providing educators with a tool they can use as part of their curriculum
* Providing Michigan businesses an opportunity to showcase their firms and their employees as a potential recruitment tool
* Providing STEM employees across every industry in Michigan an opportunity to showcase their expertise
Careers expected to be represented in the video showcase include connected and autonomous vehicles, transportation management systems, manufacturing, distribution, automation, healthcare and the life sciences, mobile application development, cybersecurity, entertainment, security, public safety, law enforcement, defense, energy and utilities, consumer products, building management, home products and services, and more.
Partner organizations are now accepting videos from STEM professionals for inclusion in the Michigan STEM Careers Video Showcase. Those interested can obtain details for participating at http://MiSTEMPartnership.com/VideoShowcase.
Based in Detroit and serving all of Michigan, MTAM is a non-profit trade association for connected technologies in Michigan, the firms who provide them, and the firms – in all industries – who use them. More at GoMobileMichigan.org.
Inforum, formerly the Women’s Economic Club, combines strategic connections, proven professional development programs, a respected forum for new ideas, and original research to accelerate careers for women and boost talent initiatives for companies. More at InforumMichigan.org.