SOUTHFIELD — A Detroit-area firm that specializes in helping people plan for financing college and retirement will host a program at The Engineering Society of Detroit Tuesday, Aug. 18 on planning for Social Security benefits.
The experts at Education Planning Resources Inc. say Social Security is one of the most valuable and least understood benefits available to retirees today. They say advance planning for retirement and Social Security is essential — and the decisions people make now can have a tremendous impact on the total amount of benefits they receive over their lifetimes lifetime.
The event begins with registration and networking at 6:15 p.m. The program runs from 7 to 8:30 p.m. Sign up at this link or call (248) 353-0735 to register by phone. There is no charge to attend, but preregistration is required.
ESD Headquarters is at 20700 Civic Center Drive, Suite 450, in Southfield.
This program will provide attendees with information to help them understand the Social Security system, coordinate spousal and survivor benefits, minimize taxes and help them get their share of personal benefits.
Program topics include:
* How married couples can coordinate benefits to help enhance spousal and survivor benefits.
* How to claim a spousal benefit while earning delayed retirement credits.
* How the “file and suspend”, “do over,” and “start, stop, restart” strategies work.
* How working could affect your benefits, and the taxability of Social Security benefits.
* How claiming early worker benefits could lower your spousal benefit at full retirement age.
* The effect of remarriage on survivor benefits for widowed and divorced spouses.
ESD has partnered with Education Planning Resources to provide educational programs to ESD members and friends. EPR specializes in providing knowledge-based solutions to attendees of their college planning and social security benefit programs. For more information about Education Planning Resources visit www.epr123.com/home.htm.