LANSING — Michigan.org had a long run as the nation’s No. 1 travel and tourism website.
Now, the Michigan Strategic Fund and the Michigan Economic Development Corp. are looking for a refresh.
State officials Monday announced they have issued a request for proposals for a complete rebuild of the official Travel Michigan website, Michigan.org.
“Michigan.org is one of the nation’s premier travel and tourism websites,” said David West, vice president of the MEDC’s Travel Michigan business unit. “Through this RFP, our goal is to develop the top destination website in the United States. Our tourism industry and Pure Michigan brand are stronger than ever, and the website is an essential tool in building on the Pure Michigan travel campaign.”
The purpose for the Request for Proposals is to locate a web design and development organization with a proven record of creating custom web solutions. The company selected will be required to assist the MEDC and its partners in creating a new website for Michigan.org. While travel industry experience is not required, it is highly preferred.
The site should provide all the information necessary for a potential traveler to be able to plan a trip to Michigan. Companies must be able to meet a number of project objectives, including:
• Creative design must visually continue Pure Michigan campaign; engaging, inviting, visually appealing with simple navigation and organization.
• Utilize research data that MEDC has collected from site visitors to address site functionality and content needs.
• Pure Michigan is to be a top ranked tourism site.
• Create a custom user experience to promote Michigan travel opportunities to all national and international travelers.
• The content needs to change between current season and the upcoming season.
• Display all relevant content during a search, including lodging, events, etc.
The complete RFP can be viewed online at this link.
Electronic versions of each technical and price proposal must be submitted separately to the MSF via email to firstname.lastname@example.org by Monday, April 27 at 3 p.m. Proposals will not be accepted via U.S. mail or any other delivery method.
Responses to questions that have been submitted by interested companies will be posted on Friday, April 3 by close of business on the MSF’s website, www.michiganbusiness.org/public-notices-rfps/.
For more on the MEDC and its initiatives, visit www.MichiganBusiness.org. For Michigan travel news, updates and information, visit www.michigan.org. Michigan residents interested in seeking employment with any of Michigan’s growing companies should check www.mitalent.org, where more than 95,000 jobs are currently available in a variety of industries.