ANN ARBOR — The payment technology startup Stratos Inc. Tuesday announced the launch of its Stratos Bluetooth Connected Card.
The company says the card allows users to consolidate an unlmiited number of credit, debit, loyalty, membership and gift card accounts onto one Stratos Card, which works everywhere traditional cards are accepted.
The Stratos Card and Stratos membership are available today at www.stratoscard.com. Memberships start at $95 for one-year and $145 for two-years. Shipping begins in April.
“Stratos exists to empower consumers to make smarter, more secure payment decisions — all with the benefit of consolidating the cards in their wallets,” said Thiago Olson, Stratos co-founder and CEO. “Replacing the dumb plastic we carry every day, Stratos Card is connected hardware designed to improve how we pay with more security, better decisions and ease of use.”
Key features of the card include:
* Superior acceptance and reliability. With compatibility to all current U.S. merchant infrastructure, the Stratos Card is the only connected card that can be used everywhere, including ATMs, restaurants, retail stores and gas stations.
* Superior security. Stratos’ patented Security Lock-Down feature lets members automatically program their card to shut down if it’s not in proximity to their smartphone for a specific amount of time. Other security features include bank-level encryption and card details securely stored behind a PIN or Touch ID.
* Superior intelligence. Stratos uses the mobile lock screen for instant, real-time notifications, including information on member’s top three favorite cards and their last four digits for card verification. The Stratos Mobile App centralizes, tracks and manages all cards securely.
* Free annual Stratos Card upgrades (or replacement cards), so your investment is never obsolete – members have first access to the latest technology, as soon as it’s available.
* Personalized member support including phone, email and social communication.
Stratos says it plans to add geo-location based recommendations, virtual card downloads and other featurese soon.
The card is also waterproof and passed ISO 7810 and 7816 durability tests.
Stratos was founded by Olson, Chris Bartenstein and Henry Balanon and is based in Ann Arbor. The company is funded by Toba Capital Partners of San Francisco, Western Technology Investment of Portola Valley, Calif., Resonant Venture Partners of Ann Arbor, and Hyde Park Venture Partners of Chicago.